Education is at the core of Haiti Health Initiative’s humanitarian trips. It plays a critical role in our goals to act as a key catalyst for change. By teaching the people how to do things themselves, we hope to improve the local residents’ overall health and quality of life. Our educational goals are expansive, and include the following areas:
- Raising the literacy rate
- Ensuring each person attains at least a primary education level
- Teaching basic healthcare, especially preventative maintenance and nutrition
- Training interested parties in technical health skills, such as midwifing
- Leaving knowledgeable individuals to maintain and elaborate on instituted systems, such as gardens and water piping
- Generally helping the people of Timo and the surrounding areas to continue to provide services after HHI volunteers leave
HHI does not give free handouts; instead, we focus on teaching principles and making permanent changes so that one day, the local people will no longer need our help. Make a major difference in the lives of others and donate to our education projects now.